Me Made May 2017

This is the first year I’ve been able to participate in MMM, last year I was breastfeeding and limited to what I could wear and the year before I was pregnant and already limited as to what I could fit into!


I’m enjoying it so far, my favourite clothes are all me made and so it’s been easy to get dressed. Prior to me Made May I honestly would’ve told you that my clothes were mainly grey and blue. I didn’t realise quite how much colour I wear and enjoy wearing!


I haven’t managed to take pictures of every outfit and thinking of new ways to take the photo is the real challenge! I haven’t identified any wardrobe gaps yet, just make more of what I love and embrace the colour (something I clearly don’t have trouble with but my fabric stash is not particularly colourful!). 

I’m starting to run out of my favourite me mades now and debating some repeats or wearing the clothes I’m not in love with anymore. 

Advertisements

Pauline Alice Rosari skirt

I’ve been wanting a button down skirt for about a year now. I bought one from Prinark but it didn’t fit right and it was way too short. I always planned on making a Rosari skirt (it was on my make 9 list) but it was originally going to be yellow corduroy. I ended up using my corduroy to make a Cleo (unblogged) and so decided to make a denim one instead. 


I really enjoyed making this skirt. It came together almost without a hitch. However as I was attaching the waistband I realised it was 2 inches too short! I was between sizes – the 36 was an inch too small on the waist and the 38 would be an inch too big. I went for the 36 graded to a 38 at the hips. I reduced the seam allowance by 1cm on each seam (3 in total) but that didn’t explain the massive gap. 


I ended up cutting a new waistband at a size 40 – 2 sizes bigger! I’ve no idea why there’s such a difference. There is supposed to be 3cm seam allowance for the front of the waistband and so the reduction in seams doesn’t explain the gap. The same thing happened when I made the Port trousers (also by Pauline Alice) which makes me think perhaps a drafting issue but no one else seems to have had a problem. 


I went for a contrasting topstitching thread because I love topstitching. It’s just so satisfying! 


I used Liberty fabric for the pockets leftover from a Violet blouse I made (also unblogged).



I had an absolute nightmare with the buttonholes. I used topstitching thread and they look atrocious. At least the button covers it!
The buttons come from eBay. They were dirt cheap and you can tell. I’ve had to buy a load of new zips for old handmades because buying cheap doesn’t last. I should know this by now!


Excuse the wrinkles but I’ve been wearing it all morning!

I’m wearing my Rosari skirt with a lark tshirt.