I’ve just returned from the Sew Up North blog meet up and inspired by all the lovely bloggers I met I thought I would show you my latest make.
I had the grand idea of using the timer on my phone but my pictures are still rubbish! Hence why I blog infrequently.
I made the ubiquitous McCalls M6696 which I think most sewing bloggers have had a crack at.
It’s a great pattern and I didn’t need to make any fit adjustments except I took some of the excess width out of the back. I also shortened the bodice about an inch.
I love the finished dress, it’s a little bit twee but it’s very me and will even be a great work dress! Bonus.
The fabric is the Robert Kaufman chambray which I’ve been hoarding for well over a year and I’m pleased I’ve finally made something with it!
I definitely need to add an extra closure to the waist, after lunch it was gaping slightly which I didn’t even notice until I took these pictures!
The buttons are from eBay but I sewed them wrong side up as the right side had a shine to it. I kind of wish I’d sewn the wooden buttons instead as I think the red hearts can be a little too twee if I’m not in a Cath Kidston esque mood.
I used Andrea from Four square walls collar attachment and Grainlines burrito method for enclosing the yoke. Everything else I followed the instructions. Except for all the hand sewing, I definitely skipped 90% of that and just hand sewed the inside of the waistband down to be neater.