Alexandria Peg trousers

Myself and ole Alexandria did not get off to a good start.

I ordered the pattern from Backstitch shop who I HIGHLY recommend for patterns, they have such a wide range, more than most online shops. It arrived the next day, thanks Backstitch!

The first thing that annoyed me – and bear with me here if you already know this – but Named patterns come overlapping on one large pattern sheet. I don’t know if they all do, but considering a trouser pattern has 3 pieces plus pockets it seems unnecessary, especially for the high end price of £15.
The second thing was that they don’t include seam allowances?! So not only did I have to trace out a few pieces (I rebelled and cut the others out) but I also then had to add seam allowances!
All I hear about Named is how wonderful they are and yet these seem to be very basic expectations of indie patterns, or have I been spoilt?
The THIRD thing was the pattern pieces aren’t labelled with how many you need to cut like most indie patterns and you have to refer to the instructions for that.

The instructions also seem quite basic in comparison with other companies. Attaching the pocket bag had me scratching my head for a while but I got there in the end.

Considering all these problems happened before I’d really gotten much sewing done by the time I was in the process of putting them together I hated them. Has anyone else done this?
If I’m ever taken longer than a few sessions to make an item I start to detest it.
I’d pretty much given up on these trousers but then I figured I’d try them on for fit at least….OH MY GOD. They’re THE most comfortable pants I’ve ever worn and that’s including leggings!

I think I need to go down a size at the waist, or reduce the amount of elastic used, however this might just be the drape of the fabric.

Despite the problems I had at the beginning, I absolutely love these trousers and I can’t wait to wear them once they’ve been washed!

I’ve been wearing them all day today and didn’t even need to change into comfy clothes when I got home!
As soon as I’d finished these I cut another pair out in a double sided jersey. One side is your typical grey jersey and the black side is like a light fleece material. Super cosy for winter!
I reduced the seam allowance on the waist to try reduce the excess fabric but I didn’t want to go down a size in case the was just the drape of the fabric causing the baggies at the front (and having to wear them so low). 

Please excuse the terrible photos, I wanted to see how they looked on!
You can see the front is still baggy and the waistband isn’t tight enough. 
Check out the fit at the back though! 

Somehow I managed to cut the front leg off grain and so it twists, which is odd because I distinctly remember measuring the grain line!
I can’t decide if these are a total fail or not. The leg does twist but I only make these for the next few weeks at work but I feel they just look like fancy jogging pants!
Oh well you win some, you lose some. 
Advertisements

One thought on “Alexandria Peg trousers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s