Following on from my autumn wardrobe Pinterest binge I decided to make a camel wool coat.
I immediately knew I wanted to make the Rumana and then it was just a case of finding the fabric. Which. Was. Impossible. I searched every fabric shop I could think of, did a million google searches, ordered 5 different swatches and even had my eye on some from Fabric Godmother which was eye-wateringly expensive at £22.50 per HALF metre. Finally it was PatsyPoo who messaged me to say that Fabworks had some in for £15 p/m. I quickly rang and ordered 3 metres.
Sewing a coat isn’t difficult but cutting all the pieces out and then all the fabric and then all the lining and then interfacing everything. It’s just so dull! It’s my least favourite part of sewing and it took me a good 2 weeks just to muster up the motivation to cut that shit out. In fact it was a whole month after receiving the fabric that I actually did anything with it. Although I did sew my jeans in this time. If you’re as impatient as me then you can leave the interfacing until you’ve sewn the majority of the shell and then do all the boring bits!
I started sewing during half term. Hoping 2 baby free days would mean it would be nearly finished by the time I went back to school. Unluckily I came down with a cold as soon as we broke up and didn’t get much done.
Sizing wise I went from a 10-12-14 even though my measurements put me at a 8-10-12. I was lucky enough to try on Arianwen’s version at Sew Up North and hers was a 12, it fit lovely but I wanted to interline and wear a jumper underneath. The lining fabric was in my stash from Guthrie Ghani, the thinsulate was from eBay, interfacing from Empress Mills and the sleevehead roll and shoulder pads from English Couture company. Arianwen mentioned she thought the sleeve head sagged a little so I ordered sleeve heads to prevent this from happening. The thinsulate is a little bulky but I’m hoping with wear it will flatten down, it will mean my coat is super cosy and not just for autumn.
One thing I never do when sewing is mark the notches. Do yourself a favour and mark the notches for the sleeve head. The others are redundant really but the sleeve head ones will make your life a lot easier! I did manage to ease it in the end but it took a lot longer without the notches.
I lengthened the sleeves by an inch and then reduced that by half an inch after I tried it on. Ariawen’s was too short in the arms for me as is my Kelly anorak so I wanted to be sure.
It took me around 3 weekends to sew the coat – 4 if you count cutting it out! I finally bagged the lining out after consulting the sewalong for the vent instructions. They are as confusing as everyone says and there’s really no need as it’s not actually that complicated. Turns out I sewed the vent to the inside rather than the outside but it looks ok.
The main issue in having is that the right front flips out and I have no idea why! I love the coat so much but that bugs me no end. It’s currently being flattened in my sewing room in the hope to reduce this. An easy fix to this would’ve been to swap the buttons and buttonholes around so the left front keeps it in check but alas I’d already sewn and cut them open. Cue face palm.
Nevertheless I’ve worn this coat to death since I finished it, I feel really smart and put together in it without really trying. Perfect!